Skip to main content

Death Warmed Up (1984)


I enjoy foreign horror films since they tend to be, generally, more original and interesting than those produced by the North American studios.  But, sometimes the foreign attempts just suck.

After spending years in a mental institution due to his murdering his parents, Michael Tucker is finally released... and plans his revenge on the scientist responsible for taking over his mind...

"Death Warmed Up" was apparently New Zealand's first foray into the splatter gore region of the horror genre.  I'm kinda hoping they learned from their mistakes in this film.

I couldn't stand the main character- especially as he dragged his friends into a blood bath without any remorse at all.  Not only that, I kept getting distracted by how much he looked like Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner".  Personally, I'm ashamed to mention such a great movie like "Blade Runner" in a review of an utter crap fest.  Not only was the main character detestable, but his friends weren't all that likable either.  They were bland, dull, and shallow etchings of people.  Nothing about them drew me into the story so that I cared about them dying.  And they're the good guys!

The villains weren't much better.  They were over the top, exaggerated and almost cartoon-like.  I swear, the scientist's laugh was something taken directly from a comic book.  I wasn't intimidated or even creeped out by them.  There was absolutely no real sense of menace or threat from them.

The story was thin and weak.  It was weakened further by a lack of any sort of real logic and backstory to draw us into the movie.  I can suspend my sense of disbelief when watching a film, but I couldn't with this one because there was no real structure to the unfolding of the events, nor any real logic to the actions of the characters.  Rather than simply shooting the main characters when they break in, the bad guys chase them on motorcycles until they get away.  You'd think an evil genius would figure out the best way to deal with trespassers was to shoot them on sight.  I'm not a genius and I even I know that.

The only saving grace to movie is the gore.  There is lots of it.  Some of it is well done- such as the opening shotgun murders, as is some of the make-up on the gooier experimental subjects. Some of the gore isn't as well done, but still plentiful and suitably messy.  My only real complaint about the gore is that most of it wasn't necessary to the story- and just kinda thrown in for the sake of gore.

Despite the fact that I did enjoy the gooey parts of "Death Warmed Up," I'm rather cold towards it, and have to place it in "The Ugly".

Comments

  1. The guy in the pic looks like Rutger from The Hitcher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does in that scene- later he looks like Rutger from "Blade Runner". LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grave Questions: Jessica Cameron

February is " Women in Horror Month "- a month in which to celebrate the impact that women have had on the genre and the industry- from writing, to acting, to directing and producing. Jessica Cameron has experienced the industry in all those capacity- making her a perfect choice for me to ask some " Grave Questions " of in order to raise awareness of the great women in Horror. Please not that this article SHOULD'VE been posted in February, but due to technical difficulties, we're putting it up now.  Thank you. TCoT :   Which female horror stars helped to inspire you to not only enjoy the genre- but to get involved in bringing scary movies to the world? Jessica :  I literally said to my " Truth or Dare " producer, "If the Soska sisters can make " Dead Hooker in a Trunk " with nothing, then I can make " Truth or Dare ".  So needless to say that those girls have been a huge inspiration in everything I do behind the

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad

The Phantom of the Opera

  Not too long ago, I reviewed the silent horror classic, "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror", and wound up being in the mood to view a few other of the silent horror films in my collection.  The next one I watched was "The Phantom of the Opera", starring Lon Chaney, Sr, and released in 1925.   A mysterious stranger has been threatening the star singer of the Paris Opera House- someone who has signs his letters simply as, "The Phantom".  This stranger wants to clear the way so his protege, Christine Daae can ascend to stardom herself.  Soon, her love for the Comte de Chagny collides with The Phantom's desire for Christine forcing both to take drastic actions in order to be with the one they love. " The Phantom of the Opera " actually underwent three periods of re-shoots and editing, due to poor reception and test viewings.  In 1930, a sound version was created- often assumed to be what is called "The Eastman House Print".  It is