Special Announcement!

Feel free to drop by my personal blog, "Life in the Corner", and find out what goes through the mind of a blogger/horror reviewer!

Also- follow my posts on Facebook, Twitter & Google+... or even send me an e-mail!

Facebook IconTwitter IconGoogle   IconE-mail Icon

Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Carol Ann's Theme" From "Poltergeist" (1982)

I think when people think of the word "poltergeist," they automatically think of the 1982 classic, the phrase, "They're heeere!" and this song.

Why do I like this "Carol Ann's Theme" from the movie, "Poltergeist"?  Well, it's a beautiful melody- almost a lullaby that echos the sweetness and innocence of the little girl Carol Ann, who was played by Heather O'Rourke.  It's soothing, and gentle... but haunting at the same time- hinting at the supernatural elements circling around Carol Ann.  You're lulled into a sense of comfort and ease, before having that comfort disturbed by the errie laughter of children at the end.  When I hear that part, I always shiver, since I can't help imagining the darkened hallway outside my room being inhabited by ghostly children playing tag up and down its length.

Simply put, it's a piece of music that deserves its place in horror movie music history.  This is one of those songs I always listen to as part of my "Halloween Playlist"... though sometimes, I swear I hear the soft pitter patter of children in the hallway in the still of the night, and a sweet voice whispering, "They're heeere..."


1 comment: