Skip to main content

Demonic (2006)

In most horror films, you can be guaranteed of three "B's"- Boobs, Butts, and Blood.  Some of them, rely on just those three things to draw an audience...

A group of friends are travelling when they become lost in the middle of a forest.  An accident strands them in the woods, where people have gone missing... and flesh eating creatures roam the shadowy trees...

"Demonic" (also known as "Forest of the Damned" won as this week's, "What Movie Wednesday" selection, and offered up plenty of the three "B's" mentioned above.  Unfortunately, that was all that was appealing about this film.

I liked the premise- angels that lusted after man and fell to earth in disgraceg the woods eating people.  Too bad the only real indications of the creatures' angelic origins was a biblical quote at the start, and a couple of crazed rants by two people.  The concept could've added a lot more depth to the story, and adding more information about it could've really made this movie a bit more than what it was in the end... naked chicks running around the woods in the moonlight munching on people.

Not that I'm opposed to the idea of naked chicks running around the woods nomming on innocent travellers, of course.  The premise just promised more potential storywise than was ultimately presented.

Most of the characters were rather generic, and not altogether likable.  I had zero sympathy for Ally (Bitchy McPMS as I called her in my tweets), or the horndog Andrew.  I didn't even cheer when they died, to be honest.  The heroes- Judd and Molly were a step up, that's for sure... but I just couldn't bring myself to WANT to see them survive.  I was... well, indiffrent to their Fates.   The character I felt sorry for was Emilio... but only because he kept looking like he was trying to pinch back from dropping a log in his pants.  I wanted to tell him it was okay to mess his pants while watching his sister is being dragged into the trees to become an appetizer for the naked women.

Of the lot, Tom Savini's acting was the best in his role of Stephen- one of the crazy people that survive in the woods surrounded by the naked female face eaters.  But even his acting was enough to make me sigh and wonder how much he got paid to be in this movie.  I'm not even sure how to characterize the "acting" of the naked women.  Is undulating, nipping lower lips, and comping on necks something that can be considered "acting"?  If so, then they did a tremendously good job.  Bravo!

I will admit that there was some great camera work in "Demonic".  There are some excellent moments of framing, etc that I liked.  The only aspect that bothered me was the segments shot with a night vision camera.  Those moments just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the movie.  The grue was really well done in my opinion.  The way Emilio's lower jaw was removed, and the splatter of blood from the crowbar scene were great!

While, most horror movies deliver boobs, butts and blood, it's never good to rely solely on those things to make your horror film a good one.  Lack of  story depth and bland characters will drop it from something enjoyable to something that gets tiring after a while.  I'd suggest watching this movie once, but I highly doubt that I'll watch it again.  "Demonic" is getting The Bad.

Special Shout-Out:

I'd like to thank everyone that voted in this week's "What Movie Wednesday"- especially those that voted for "Demonic":

Ron Morgan
Tanya Marie
Jay (from "We Came From the Basement")
Derek Anderson
Tuesday Movie Men

The next "What Movie Wednesday" will be 12 March 2013!

Join me on Twitter at @camethebasement every Thurs at 10:00 pm (PST) as I tweet along to their radio show on www.thex.ca!

Also join me Sundays @camethebasement at 7:00 pm (PST) as I tweet along to non-horror movies!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grave Questions: Jessica Cameron

February is " Women in Horror Month "- a month in which to celebrate the impact that women have had on the genre and the industry- from writing, to acting, to directing and producing. Jessica Cameron has experienced the industry in all those capacity- making her a perfect choice for me to ask some " Grave Questions " of in order to raise awareness of the great women in Horror. Please not that this article SHOULD'VE been posted in February, but due to technical difficulties, we're putting it up now.  Thank you. TCoT :   Which female horror stars helped to inspire you to not only enjoy the genre- but to get involved in bringing scary movies to the world? Jessica :  I literally said to my " Truth or Dare " producer, "If the Soska sisters can make " Dead Hooker in a Trunk " with nothing, then I can make " Truth or Dare ".  So needless to say that those girls have been a huge inspiration in everything I do behind the

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad

The Phantom of the Opera

  Not too long ago, I reviewed the silent horror classic, "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror", and wound up being in the mood to view a few other of the silent horror films in my collection.  The next one I watched was "The Phantom of the Opera", starring Lon Chaney, Sr, and released in 1925.   A mysterious stranger has been threatening the star singer of the Paris Opera House- someone who has signs his letters simply as, "The Phantom".  This stranger wants to clear the way so his protege, Christine Daae can ascend to stardom herself.  Soon, her love for the Comte de Chagny collides with The Phantom's desire for Christine forcing both to take drastic actions in order to be with the one they love. " The Phantom of the Opera " actually underwent three periods of re-shoots and editing, due to poor reception and test viewings.  In 1930, a sound version was created- often assumed to be what is called "The Eastman House Print".  It is