Special Announcement!

Feel free to drop by my personal blog, "Life in the Corner", and find out what goes through the mind of a blogger/horror reviewer!

Also- follow my posts on Facebook, Twitter & Google+... or even send me an e-mail!

Facebook IconTwitter IconGoogle   IconE-mail Icon

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thinner (Stephen King)


One of the things that horror does, is take something we often WISH for- and make us rethink that wish...

After Bill Halleck accidentally runs over an old gypsy woman, a simple word is whispered to him- and his life becomes a living hell.

The word is, "Thinner"...

This book is one of Stephen King's earlier books, written under the name "Richard Bachman", but isn't what I would consider one of his better novels.

The premise is interesting.  The old gypsy guy and the "fixer" friend of Halleck's are interesting.  The writing style isn't bad, and there's a decent flow to the words.

The fault isn't with those things.  Rather, the problem for me lies in the character of Halleck, and the pace of the story.  I had zero sympathy for Halleck, so felt no real tension on his behalf.  Maybe if he had some redeeming qualities, and felt real remorse for what he did, then I might not have minded the slow pacing of the story.  As it was, I wanted it to end.

Somehow, it's appropriate that I've written a "thin" review of Stephen King's "Thinner".  I'm going to put this book in The Ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment