Skip to main content

My Bloody Valentine (1981)


Last year, around Valentine's Day, I reviewed the rather craptacular "Valentine".  This year, I'm going to be reviewing a true classic of of the holiday horror films- the 1981 Canadian made, "My Bloody Valentine", since I was able to find a copy and watch it this year.

Sorry it's a week late... shall I give you my heart?

After a mine collapse caused by negligence on Valentine's Day, Harry Warden is found alive, but insane... having eaten the others trapped with him.  A year, Harry returns and kills several people- warning the town of Valentine's Bluff that it'll happen again if they ever throw another Valentine's Day dance.


The town has faithfully heeded this warning until one year, against the requests of the sheriff, a small group decide to have a Valentine's Day party... out at the mine where Harry went insane...

This is classic 1980's horror material.  You can certainly see elements of John Carpenter's "Halloween" in some of the scenes, and general theme.  I have to say that I certainly enjoyed watching it.

The camera work, while not as slick as many of the movies produced now, is still interesting and effective for the most part.  There is some real good use of shadow to create mood and atmosphere, that contrasted with other parts that were brighter and more upbeat.  I was really impressed with how they did the filming in the mine tunnels- which were filmed in the Princess Colliery Mine of Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia.  The site was chosen because they looked "dreary, cold and dusty".  Unfortunately, when they arrived, they found the mine redecorated by the townfolks to, "make it more presentable".

The acting is typical of horror movies from the 1980's- not super spectacular, but still enjoyable.  Paul Kelman was good as T.J Hanniger, Jr, and Neil Affleck did a good job as his friend/rival Axel Palmer.  Sarah, the girl they both loved, was played nicely by Lori Hallier.  I enjoyed Don Francks in the role of Chief Jake Newby, as well as Alf Humphreys as Mayor Landers.  Of course, the best acting was done by Peter Cowper in his role as The Miner/Harry Warden.  It's not easy to acting without saying a word, and wearing a gas mask, you know.

I enjoyed the characters- and liked them, despite the fact that most of them were the sort you find in ANY horror film.  You come to like them and want them to survive.  They're also all distinct from each other, yet mesh well.  Their interactions were entertaining and fun.

Despite the fact that it is a little dated visually, "My Bloody Valentine" is one of those films that I would have no problem pulling out for a 1980's horror night, or just for the simple fun of it.  I'm going to place it in 'The Good"...

Comments

  1. Good 'ole flick! Gotta see the unrated version though! Not as gory as I remember it being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know. I remember more grue too. Gotta admit, the showerhead kill was unique. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grave Questions: Jessica Cameron

February is " Women in Horror Month "- a month in which to celebrate the impact that women have had on the genre and the industry- from writing, to acting, to directing and producing. Jessica Cameron has experienced the industry in all those capacity- making her a perfect choice for me to ask some " Grave Questions " of in order to raise awareness of the great women in Horror. Please not that this article SHOULD'VE been posted in February, but due to technical difficulties, we're putting it up now.  Thank you. TCoT :   Which female horror stars helped to inspire you to not only enjoy the genre- but to get involved in bringing scary movies to the world? Jessica :  I literally said to my " Truth or Dare " producer, "If the Soska sisters can make " Dead Hooker in a Trunk " with nothing, then I can make " Truth or Dare ".  So needless to say that those girls have been a huge inspiration in everything I do behind the

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad

The Phantom of the Opera

  Not too long ago, I reviewed the silent horror classic, "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror", and wound up being in the mood to view a few other of the silent horror films in my collection.  The next one I watched was "The Phantom of the Opera", starring Lon Chaney, Sr, and released in 1925.   A mysterious stranger has been threatening the star singer of the Paris Opera House- someone who has signs his letters simply as, "The Phantom".  This stranger wants to clear the way so his protege, Christine Daae can ascend to stardom herself.  Soon, her love for the Comte de Chagny collides with The Phantom's desire for Christine forcing both to take drastic actions in order to be with the one they love. " The Phantom of the Opera " actually underwent three periods of re-shoots and editing, due to poor reception and test viewings.  In 1930, a sound version was created- often assumed to be what is called "The Eastman House Print".  It is