Over the course of the past year or so, I have been asked by a few people a couple of simple questions:
- How do you determine what rating to give a movie, etc? and
- What makes you think that you're right about your rating?
First, a quick and concise description of how I determine a movie's rating:
- The Good: This a book, movie, or game that manages to fully engage my attention and suspension of disbelief. In a book or movie of this calibre, I tend to come to care about the characters and what happens to them. The story is unique, interesting, and well paced- with a style that actually manages to flip my emotional switches as it goes along. A book or movie that, when finished, make me want to sit down and experience it again.
- The Bad: This is a book, movie, or game that is hit and miss when it comes to engaging my attention and making me slip into the world described within. In a book or movie of this calibre, I tend to care about one or two of the characters- though not necessarily whether they live or die. The story is not totally unique, but has some points of original content, and isn't as smooth as I would like. It's a book or movie where my attention might wander from time to time, but can get me back on track. A book or movie that, when finished, I could possibly sit through again a year or so down the road.
- The Ugly: This a book, movie, or game that fails to engage my attention or my imagination. In a book of this calibre, I tend to feel apathetic- or even disdain for the characters involved to the point where I kinda wish they die. The story is a badly done copy of another author's work, with no original content of its own. It's a book where I could go days between sittings to read it, or if a movie- turn the movie off. A book or movie that, when finished, I'd never sit through again.
All I can do, when reviewing a movie, is to let the reader know how I felt, and what I think of the movie. I try to refrain from writing as if I know what movies people will like, and not like. I'm not that presumptuous or pretensious. I simply write my thoughts and opinions, and let the readers agree or disagree.
If you agree, or disagree with me on any of my reviews- and wish to discuss the differences in opinion, I'm always willing to do so. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org!