Special Announcement!

Feel free to drop by my personal blog, "Life in the Corner", and find out what goes through the mind of a blogger/horror reviewer!

Also- follow my posts on Facebook, Twitter & Google+... or even send me an e-mail!

Facebook IconTwitter IconGoogle   IconE-mail Icon

Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...


Over the course of the past year or so, I have been asked by a few people a couple of simple questions:

  1. How do you determine what rating to give a movie, etc? and
  2. What makes you think that you're right about your rating?
I'd like to take this time to answer these two questions.

First, a quick and concise description of how I determine a movie's rating:

  •  The Good: This a book, movie, or game that manages to fully engage my attention and suspension of disbelief. In a book or movie of this calibre, I tend to come to care about the characters and what happens to them. The story is unique, interesting, and well paced- with a style that actually manages to flip my emotional switches as it goes along. A book or movie that, when finished, make me want to sit down and experience it again.
  • The Bad: This is a book, movie, or game that is hit and miss when it comes to engaging my attention and making me slip into the world described within. In a book or movie of this calibre, I tend to care about one or two of the characters- though not necessarily whether they live or die. The story is not totally unique, but has some points of original content, and isn't as smooth as I would like. It's a book or movie where my attention might wander from time to time, but can get me back on track. A book or movie that, when finished, I could possibly sit through again a year or so down the road.
  • The Ugly: This a book, movie, or game that fails to engage my attention or my imagination. In a book of this calibre, I tend to feel apathetic- or even disdain for the characters involved to the point where I kinda wish they die. The story is a badly done copy of another author's work, with no original content of its own. It's a book where I could go days between sittings to read it, or if a movie- turn the movie off.  A book or movie that, when finished, I'd never sit through again.
The answer to the second question is much more subjective:  I'm only "right" so far that I feel confident standing by my opinion of the movie, and my decision.  The crux of it is that it's simply my opinion.  I can only go on how a movie or book makes me feel during the experience, and afterwards.  To be perfectly honest, being "right" when reviewing a movie or book is an illusion, because an opposing view held by another reviewer is just as equally valid and "right".  A good example is the movie, "The Postman" with Kevin Costner.  I enjoyed that movie, while my friend, Jay (from "We Came From the Basement") hated it.


All I can do, when reviewing a movie, is to let the reader know how I felt, and what I think of the movie.  I try to refrain from writing as if I know what movies people will like, and not like.  I'm not that presumptuous or pretensious.  I simply write my thoughts and opinions, and let the readers agree or disagree.


If you agree, or disagree with me on any of my reviews- and wish to discuss the differences in opinion, I'm always willing to do so.  Contact me at cornerofterror@hotmail.ca!

1 comment:

  1. Best rating system ever . . . which is why we use it in The Basement as well. And I still hate The Postman :)

    ReplyDelete