Skip to main content

Snowbeast (1977)


The 1970's were well known for their TV movies.  Most of them weren't very good, but there were some decent low budget TV B-movies...

The Rill Lodge is having its annual winter carnival, which is threatened to be cancelled due to an attack on a skier by an unknown beast.  It's up to Tony- the owner's grandson, his friend Gar, and the sheriff to track down and kill it...


Joseph Stefano, who wrote the script for Alfred Hitchcock's movie, "Psycho" wrote the teleplay for this TV movie.  Supposedly, he based it loosely on Roger Patterson's book recording his own experience with Sasquatch in 1967.

For a TV movie, "Snowbeast" really isn't that bad.  Its production values are actually higher than the standard fare most networks commissioned for airing.  The skiing scenes are remarkable, and quite well done- even if they didn't really add a lot to the story's pace.  There is also some decent camerawork in this film too.  Some of the angles used for the snowbeast's point of view shots were impressive and added to the tension and suspense as he watched and approached his prey.  The scenic shots were beautiful too, really setting the location and the stark beauty of the area.  You could probably take some of the stills and blow them up as poster to hang on the wall as art photos.

The acting could've been better.  Bo Svenson wasn't bad as Gar, but I just couldn't see him as someone that could shoot at an animal, let alone a snowbeast.  I could see Tony (played by Robert Logan) as the sort that would shoot the snowbeast with little hesitation, but I found it hard to like him.  For someone trying to keep it a secret that something's been nomming on skiers, he was rather loud when talking about it.  Yvette Mimieux as Gar's wife Ellen brought a quiet grace to the movie in her performance.  I also liked Clint Walker as the sheriff, but he didn't have much in the way of screen time.

The snowbeast itself was a bit of a disappointment when finally seen.  Heck even just seeing it's arm whacking a hapless ski patrolman's head was disappointing.

However, having said that, "Snowbeast" is still fun to watch with friends on a B-movie night.  As much fun as it is to watch and giggle at, I'm going to have to place it solidly in "The Bad"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad...

Zombie Bikers From Detroit (2001)

Over the years, it has been shown that with very little money, a skillful director can put together a high quality horror movie (John Carpenter's " Halloween ", " The Blair Witch Project ", and " Paranormal Activity " being a few of them).  So, when it comes to determining a movie's quality, budget is no longer a negative... Ken and his mother have moved from Hell, Michigan to Grosse Pointe near Detroit.  Upon his arrival, he meets the lovely Courtney, and her jealous suitor Chad.  While Ken and Chad square off, an evil is growing within Detroit and slowly spreading towards Grosse Point... where Ken will meet his destiny ... This week's " What Movie Wednesday " winner was " Zombie Bikers From Detroit "- a low budget horror movie that feels like it was put together as a school project.  High School, or College... I can't really tell. The premise- as stated in my little synopsis is interesting- as was the title.  ...

The Black Castle (Les Daniels)

Vampires and witches are often a good basis for a horror novel.  Through in the Spanish Inquisition, and odds are you'll get a pretty good story. In 1496, while the Spanish Inquisition is in full motion, Diego  de Villanueva is seeking a way to rise through the ranks of the Inquistion.  He will do anything he needs to... even use his brother's darkest secrets and knowledge to bring fear and hatred to the world... " The Black Castle " caught my  eye while shopping at " The Book Place ".  I was intrigued by the idea of it taking place during the Spanish Inquisition.  While I did enjoy reading this book, I was also a little disappointed. The style is very fitting to the story- it has an almost old world charm and rythm to it that I found pleasing to the ear.  It's also easy to read, and flows at a nice pace.  While, it's not "fancy", the images it creates are fairly good and atmospheric. The story itself is a really interesting idea....