Skip to main content

Moon of the Wolf (1972)

I think I've said this before, but one of the things I enjoy about my ongoing "What Movie Wednesday" feature is that I never quite know what to expect from the movies chosen to be a part of it.  "Moon of the Wolf" is no exception...

Marsh Island has fallen victim to a brutal killing.  While the residents prepare to hunt down the wild dogs they think killed a young women, evidence discovered by the local Sheriff lead him to believe that it was a man that commited the horrible crime.  Soon, he and an old crush will discover that the killer is much more than an animal... or a man...

The 1970's was an era when made for TV movies became the rage.  "Moon of the Wolf"- which is actually based on a novel by Leslie H. Whitten), is one such movie- and has all the limitations of them as well.

The premise and story isn't the most original, and could be seen as rather simplistic- but when you think about it, most made for TV movies fit that description.  It had to be hard to script it so that you could include commercial breaks.  Besides, screenplays tend to lack the depth and complexity of the original novels to begin with, I've found.  I would be interested in finding the book to read and compare them.

The characters, while not necessarily great, are still watchable.  I enjoyed Sheriff Aaron Whitaker and his interactions with the other characters.  He had a subtle, caustic wit about him that I liked.  Louise Rodanthe- the Sheriff's old crush, wasn't a bad character either, and went well with the Sheriff's.  I had some problem with the character of Andrew Rodanthe, who was Louise's brother.  For a character that winds up playing a vital part in the story, he wasn't very well developed... and I could see the role he would play as soon as I saw him.  This kinda made me apathetic towards him in the end.  The other characters were interesting as well, and I found myself wanting to know more about a couple of them- which is a good thing.

The acting, while entertaining, was typical of the 1970's, and doesn't really stand the test of time.  The only actors that really stood out for me were Geoffry Lewis as Lawrence- the dead girl's brother, and Paul R. DeVille as Lawrence's father, Hugh.  The two of them were great.  I'd seen Lewis in several other TV movies, and always enjoyed his performances.  His eyes are always just so much a part of his characters, it's amazing.  In this movie, he gives a great example of "crazy eyes" that I enjoyed.  DeVille was just fantastic as the bed-ridden father muttering French phrases and ranting as he stared off into nothing.

Other than the final scene, there isn't much blood shown- which is to be expected, given the nature of television censorship back in the 1970's.  I was also a little disappointed in the make-up for the werewolf.  For me, it was too much of a throwback to the wolfman make-up made famous by the Universial Studios movie, "The Wolfman."  It needed to look a bit more wolfish and mangy.  I was turned off by how neat and tidy the werewolf's hair was... and how nice his clothes continued to look.  It was more laughable than scary to me.

I've seen some really good made for TV movies over the years, but I'm going to have to say that "Moon of the Wolf" isn't one of the better ones.  Having said that, I might be convinced to watch it as part of a werewolf marathon... but not likely.  I'm going to place this movie in "The Ugly".

Special Shoutout:

I want to thank everyone that participated in my "What Movie Wednesday" feature.  I'll be doing it again April 11th.

Big thank you to the following people who voted for "Moon of the Wolf":

Comments

  1. Aw really? I need a good movie to see haha. I'm not watching one in the ugly though ><

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grave Questions: Jessica Cameron

February is " Women in Horror Month "- a month in which to celebrate the impact that women have had on the genre and the industry- from writing, to acting, to directing and producing. Jessica Cameron has experienced the industry in all those capacity- making her a perfect choice for me to ask some " Grave Questions " of in order to raise awareness of the great women in Horror. Please not that this article SHOULD'VE been posted in February, but due to technical difficulties, we're putting it up now.  Thank you. TCoT :   Which female horror stars helped to inspire you to not only enjoy the genre- but to get involved in bringing scary movies to the world? Jessica :  I literally said to my " Truth or Dare " producer, "If the Soska sisters can make " Dead Hooker in a Trunk " with nothing, then I can make " Truth or Dare ".  So needless to say that those girls have been a huge inspiration in everything I do behind the

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad

The Phantom of the Opera

  Not too long ago, I reviewed the silent horror classic, "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror", and wound up being in the mood to view a few other of the silent horror films in my collection.  The next one I watched was "The Phantom of the Opera", starring Lon Chaney, Sr, and released in 1925.   A mysterious stranger has been threatening the star singer of the Paris Opera House- someone who has signs his letters simply as, "The Phantom".  This stranger wants to clear the way so his protege, Christine Daae can ascend to stardom herself.  Soon, her love for the Comte de Chagny collides with The Phantom's desire for Christine forcing both to take drastic actions in order to be with the one they love. " The Phantom of the Opera " actually underwent three periods of re-shoots and editing, due to poor reception and test viewings.  In 1930, a sound version was created- often assumed to be what is called "The Eastman House Print".  It is