Skip to main content

The Dead Sleep (2010)


Often, I find that the supernatural films are the ones with the most interesting ones withing the horror genre...but sometimes- as is the case with this week's "What Movie Wednesday" winner, and interesting idea doesn't mean a captivating movie...

Paul wakes up one day, and starts to experience strange phenomena- seeing people that aren't there, and hearing things that aren't said.  This would be bad enough, but after discovering that he's dead, Paul is in a race across reality to save his daughter from his boss who is looking for the money Paul stole from him...

"The Dead Sleep" is, at it's core an interesting supernatural thriller- rather than an outright horror movie.  This would be a good thing, if you weren't confused for most of the film.  As much as I enjoy films that make you think, this one bounced around a bit too much, and seemed to rely on plot devices to make it all mesh at the end.  Two characters in particular are used as plot devices- Paul's friend Del, and a mysterious "One Eyed Girl".  The former is developed somewhat and is present through most of the film while, the latter just kinda pops up, vanishes, and then pops up again when Paul needs a kick in the right direction.

In addition to the plot devices, the story suffers from some logic issues.  The boss he stole from wants his money back, and to send a message to others in the company.  To accomplish this, he secretly kills Paul before he can tell him where the money is, then cultivates a friendship with Paul's daughter in order to have her lead him to the money.  Ummmm... Not what I would consider very effective management of his resources- since he could've just had his burly henchmen beat the daylights out of Paul.  The "dreaming ghost" aspect of the story was interesting, but could lose some people.

I liked the character of Paul, and thought that Paul Armstrong fit the role physically- but found his delivery a little bland.  If almost felt as if he was thinking of a grocery list while delivering his lines.  Robert Fente as Del wasn't bad, though up until the end, the nature of his character is rather amiguous.  Sarah Foret looked great, but unfortunately, looked too old to play the role of a 16 year old old.  I thought she in her mid-twenties at least.  I'm not entirely sure what to think of Tim- played by Joshua Close.  He did a decent enough job, I guess- but I simply found I couldn't get into feeling menaced by the character.  The one character I REALLY wanted to learn about was also the most confusing one of the lot- "The One Eyed Girl", who was played by Jacintha Charles.  Even with bandages on her eye she still looked good.  The problem is that you learn absolutely nothing about her... at all! She shows up, acts all mysterious, and disappears.  Why is she so interested in saving Paul's daughter?  How did she lose her eye?  I wanted to know!

This is a rather slow paced story- as is common for thrillers.  There is potential for some action, but it's not delivered properly in the form of "The Collectors" that chase spirits and bury them.  There's a couple of short chases, but then that's pretty much it for them until the very end of the movie.  I was a little disappointed.  I wanted to see more of them menacing our hero.

There is some great camerawork though.  I found the editing and camera movements to be smooth and artistic.  I was quite impressed with that aspect of it.

Would I recommend "The Dead Sleep"?  I would, actually- because, despite its flaws, I was actually interested in the movie- and it managed to keep my attention for the majority of the movie.  I wouldn't watch it more than once, but I would certainly say it's worth a look.  I'm putting it in 'The Bad".

Special Shoutout:

I want to thank everyone that participated in my "What Movie Wednesday" feature.  I'll be doing it again March 9th.

Big thank you to the following people who voted for "Bloody Wednesday":

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Grave Questions: Jessica Cameron

    February is " Women in Horror Month "- a month in which to celebrate the impact that women have had on the genre and the industry- from writing, to acting, to directing and producing. Jessica Cameron has experienced the industry in all those capacity- making her a perfect choice for me to ask some " Grave Questions " of in order to raise awareness of the great women in Horror. Please not that this article SHOULD'VE been posted in February, but due to technical difficulties, we're putting it up now.  Thank you. TCoT :   Which female horror stars helped to inspire you to not only enjoy the genre- but to get involved in bringing scary movies to the world? Jessica :  I literally said to my " Truth or Dare " producer, "If the Soska sisters can make " Dead Hooker in a Trunk " with nothing, then I can make " Truth or Dare ".  So needless to say that those girls have been a huge inspiration in everything I do behind the

    Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

    Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad

    The Phantom of the Opera

      Not too long ago, I reviewed the silent horror classic, "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror", and wound up being in the mood to view a few other of the silent horror films in my collection.  The next one I watched was "The Phantom of the Opera", starring Lon Chaney, Sr, and released in 1925.   A mysterious stranger has been threatening the star singer of the Paris Opera House- someone who has signs his letters simply as, "The Phantom".  This stranger wants to clear the way so his protege, Christine Daae can ascend to stardom herself.  Soon, her love for the Comte de Chagny collides with The Phantom's desire for Christine forcing both to take drastic actions in order to be with the one they love. " The Phantom of the Opera " actually underwent three periods of re-shoots and editing, due to poor reception and test viewings.  In 1930, a sound version was created- often assumed to be what is called "The Eastman House Print".  It is