Skip to main content

Grave Questions: Brooke Lewis


When you're in the "business" of reviewing movies, you come across people in the industry that cover a wide spectrum of roles- from script writers, to producers, to directors, and performers.  Such was the case when my friend's over at "We Came From the Basement" interviewed a lovely lady by the name of Brooke Lewis several months ago.  While tweeting for their radio show that featured the interview, I got to talk a bit with Brooke via Twitter.

As the photo at the top of this article shows quite nicely, Brooke is a beautiful woman- but she is much more than just a pretty face.  In addition to acting, she is also a producer (through her company Philly Chick Pictures), writer, and director in her own right.  She has also released at least one dance hit, has won numerous Scream Queen awards, and stars in her own web series as Ms. Vampy.

Now, why would such a talented woman agree to answer my "Grave Questions"?  Because she's a brave person as well!


TCoT:  What inspired you to get into film- and horror especially?
Brooke:  I was born a ham!  :) I was such an emotional and sensitive child that I was destined to do this! I was performing in musical theater at a very young age. I loved TV and movies as a little girl and used to talk to the TV and characters and pretend I was on the show with them and improv! I acted in one no budget horror flick when I got to LA and the fan mail started to come. Then, I executive produced and starred in a horror thriller a few years later and the fan mail poured in! It really is all about the fans in horror. They are the most loyal and supportive fans in the world!

TCoT:  You've been called the most recent of the Scream Queens- what do you consider to be the key elements of a Scream Queen?
Brooke:  Mike, thanks for saying that! It is my honor to have had the title “Scream Queen” bestowed upon me several years ago. My definition of a Scream Queen is “A strong, sexy, powerful actress working in the horror genre.” And, since I won the B Movie Golden Cob Awards 2010 for Best Scream Queen Of  2009, I love being a Scream Queen even more!

TCoT:  How have you seen Scream Queens evolving over the ages?
Brooke:  In my opinion, any true horror fan will recognize that the greatest roles for Scream Queens or women in horror history were not necessarily the roles in which women were victimized or objectified, but the roles in which women were the heroine (Jamie Lee Curtis in "Halloween" or "Prom Night"), or the strength behind the man (Margot Kidder in "The Amityville Horror") or the killer (Sissy Spacek in "Carrie"). Sadly, I feel that with the internet and digital film making craze, came a new breed of Scream Queen, in which any young, sexy chick who called herself an actress, got naked and had blood splashed on her became a “Scream Queen". I do feel that this has started to change back a bit with smart horror flicks like "Insidious" and "The Last Exorcism". I think there are now sub-genres of horror and we will continue to see Scream Queens of various types.

TCoT:  What famous Scream Queen (alive or dead) would you love to have met?
Brooke:  Having a level of success in the horror genre has blessed me with many opportunities to meet the Scream Queens I admired and aspired to be like when I was young. I have hosted events with the stunning, timeless Elvira, who is one of my inspirations for Ms. Vampy! I have appeared at horror conventions with some of my idols like Tippi Hedren, Adrienne Barbeau, Dee Wallace, Leslie Easterbrook, Margot Kidder and Danielle Harris. I am also lucky to call many of the younger Scream Queens “friend”!!! I think the only two I missed out on meeting are Fay Wray and Maila Nurmi…now that would have been horrifically incredible!!!

TCoT:  If you were to star in a remake, what movie would it be?
Brooke:  Come on…I can’t choose one! "Cleopatra"; "The Taming of the Shrew"; "My Cousin Vinny"; "The Lost Boys"; "The Hunger"; "Love at First Bite" (LOL!!!).

Thank you to Mike and The Corner Of Terror readers!

 I want to give Brooke a huge "Thank You" for being June's "Grave Questions" victim!  If you want to keep up to date on what Brooke is up to- you can find her at the following locations across the internet:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grave Questions: Jessica Cameron

February is " Women in Horror Month "- a month in which to celebrate the impact that women have had on the genre and the industry- from writing, to acting, to directing and producing. Jessica Cameron has experienced the industry in all those capacity- making her a perfect choice for me to ask some " Grave Questions " of in order to raise awareness of the great women in Horror. Please not that this article SHOULD'VE been posted in February, but due to technical difficulties, we're putting it up now.  Thank you. TCoT :   Which female horror stars helped to inspire you to not only enjoy the genre- but to get involved in bringing scary movies to the world? Jessica :  I literally said to my " Truth or Dare " producer, "If the Soska sisters can make " Dead Hooker in a Trunk " with nothing, then I can make " Truth or Dare ".  So needless to say that those girls have been a huge inspiration in everything I do behind the

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad

The Phantom of the Opera

  Not too long ago, I reviewed the silent horror classic, "Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror", and wound up being in the mood to view a few other of the silent horror films in my collection.  The next one I watched was "The Phantom of the Opera", starring Lon Chaney, Sr, and released in 1925.   A mysterious stranger has been threatening the star singer of the Paris Opera House- someone who has signs his letters simply as, "The Phantom".  This stranger wants to clear the way so his protege, Christine Daae can ascend to stardom herself.  Soon, her love for the Comte de Chagny collides with The Phantom's desire for Christine forcing both to take drastic actions in order to be with the one they love. " The Phantom of the Opera " actually underwent three periods of re-shoots and editing, due to poor reception and test viewings.  In 1930, a sound version was created- often assumed to be what is called "The Eastman House Print".  It is