Skip to main content

What Movie Wednesday: "Billy the Kid vs Dracula" (1966)


This past Wednesday, I brought back an old feature- "What Movie Wednesday".  It went well in my opinion, and I had fun doing the tweet along.

So, here's the review!

Billy the Kid has "retired" and gotten engaged to the daughter of a wealthy rancher.  Soon, however, Billy finds himself in for the fight of his life against the Lord of the Undead... Master of the Children of the Night... DRACULA!  Billy is his fiance's only chance of avoiding a fate worse than death...

This is truly a B-Movie of epic proportions.  As Vance Kotrla (@SciFi_Romance) aptly put it:

The story, the characters, the acting, the camera work... all of it.  Just ALL of it.  The best part was John Carradine (David Carradine's father)... especially his skill at giving us "crazy eyes" like the example below:






See what I mean?  Just fantastic!

Despite it being a highly flawed movie (aka- "HOW did this movie ever get made?" flawed), it was good for a giggle and chortle while I was tweeting along to it.  It's going to sit solidly in "The Ugly"... but I must confess to feeling some guilty pleasure watching and enjoying it.

SPECIAL THANKS!

Big shout-out to the following for voting in the return of "What Movie Wednesday:

Nathan Bosa;
Jason Hewlett (@camethebasement);
David Stewart;
Jason Wiggins.

Also, special shout-out to Vance Kotrla (@Sci-Fi_Romance) for the great quote above!


 The next "What Movie Wednesday" vote will be posted 20 Feb 2019 at just after midnight that morning.  Voting will go until 6:00 pm (Pacific Standard Time), and tweeting will begin at 7:00 pm (PST).  You'll be able to vote either on Twitter, or on our Facebook page!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad...

Zombie Bikers From Detroit (2001)

Over the years, it has been shown that with very little money, a skillful director can put together a high quality horror movie (John Carpenter's " Halloween ", " The Blair Witch Project ", and " Paranormal Activity " being a few of them).  So, when it comes to determining a movie's quality, budget is no longer a negative... Ken and his mother have moved from Hell, Michigan to Grosse Pointe near Detroit.  Upon his arrival, he meets the lovely Courtney, and her jealous suitor Chad.  While Ken and Chad square off, an evil is growing within Detroit and slowly spreading towards Grosse Point... where Ken will meet his destiny ... This week's " What Movie Wednesday " winner was " Zombie Bikers From Detroit "- a low budget horror movie that feels like it was put together as a school project.  High School, or College... I can't really tell. The premise- as stated in my little synopsis is interesting- as was the title.  ...

The Black Castle (Les Daniels)

Vampires and witches are often a good basis for a horror novel.  Through in the Spanish Inquisition, and odds are you'll get a pretty good story. In 1496, while the Spanish Inquisition is in full motion, Diego  de Villanueva is seeking a way to rise through the ranks of the Inquistion.  He will do anything he needs to... even use his brother's darkest secrets and knowledge to bring fear and hatred to the world... " The Black Castle " caught my  eye while shopping at " The Book Place ".  I was intrigued by the idea of it taking place during the Spanish Inquisition.  While I did enjoy reading this book, I was also a little disappointed. The style is very fitting to the story- it has an almost old world charm and rythm to it that I found pleasing to the ear.  It's also easy to read, and flows at a nice pace.  While, it's not "fancy", the images it creates are fairly good and atmospheric. The story itself is a really interesting idea....