Skip to main content

Halloween Day by Day: "The Addams Family" (1991)


If there's a family that screams Halloween, it's the Addams Family...

After being missing for 25 years, Fester Addams finally returns home.  His brother Gomez is ecstatic that his family is whole again.

But Fester is hiding a secret- and things are not what they seem...

I have been a fan of the Addams Family since I was a kid (I know- I'm old.  Deal with it.).  When I heard that they were doing a movie featuring this spooky family back in 1991, I was excited.

And I wasn't disappointed.

This is one of the smartest horror comedies I have ever seen.  There's an actual story that allows for both a comedic and an emotional depth to it.  It was simply a fun tale about the absurd that was presented in such a straight forward, matter of fact manner.  Loved it.

The characters were well crafted and presented as well.  Each of them got a bit of the spotlight to get some development throughout the story.  Their interactions, and the chemistry between all them was just a thrill to experience.  A lot of people talk about the "love" between The Joker and Harley Quinn... personally, I want an undying love like Gomez and Morticia.  The passion and the playfulness between them was great.

A bit part of what made the characters work was the performers.  Raul Julia was absolutely perfect as Gomez- especially paired with Anjelica Huston's Morticia.  Just a pleasure to watch their scenes.  Casting Christopher Lloyd as Fester was a master stroke of genius.  He looked great in the make-up, and brought a real sense of almost manic energy to the role.  Special credit to Christina Ricci as Wednesday.  She stole pretty much every scene she was in, and really added to the hijinks taking place.  Just a stellar cast through and through.

When I think of my favorite horror comedies, 1991's "The Addams Family" ranks right near the top.  I'm putting it in "The Good".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meridian: Kiss of the Beast (1990)

Sometimes, a director/producer will surprise you- such was the case during " Terrorpolooza 2012 " when I watched Charles Band's " Meridian: Kiss of the Beast " Catherine Bomarzini has come home after her father's death.  Needing company, she asks Gina to stay with her.  Soon, the two meet a wondering troupe of performers that Catherine invites to dinner at her castle. Catherine find herself pulled into a love triangle and an ancient curse that only she can break. After watching movies like " Evil Bong ", and " Demonic Toys ", I really wasn't expecting too much from this Charles Band movie- but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The story is actually quite interesting with lots of potential for eerie scenes, and character development.  It's a nice twist on the classic " Beauty and the Beast " story.  It's a bit slower than most of Band's other works, but moves smoothly and draws you with it. I have to ad...

Zombie Bikers From Detroit (2001)

Over the years, it has been shown that with very little money, a skillful director can put together a high quality horror movie (John Carpenter's " Halloween ", " The Blair Witch Project ", and " Paranormal Activity " being a few of them).  So, when it comes to determining a movie's quality, budget is no longer a negative... Ken and his mother have moved from Hell, Michigan to Grosse Pointe near Detroit.  Upon his arrival, he meets the lovely Courtney, and her jealous suitor Chad.  While Ken and Chad square off, an evil is growing within Detroit and slowly spreading towards Grosse Point... where Ken will meet his destiny ... This week's " What Movie Wednesday " winner was " Zombie Bikers From Detroit "- a low budget horror movie that feels like it was put together as a school project.  High School, or College... I can't really tell. The premise- as stated in my little synopsis is interesting- as was the title.  ...

The Black Castle (Les Daniels)

Vampires and witches are often a good basis for a horror novel.  Through in the Spanish Inquisition, and odds are you'll get a pretty good story. In 1496, while the Spanish Inquisition is in full motion, Diego  de Villanueva is seeking a way to rise through the ranks of the Inquistion.  He will do anything he needs to... even use his brother's darkest secrets and knowledge to bring fear and hatred to the world... " The Black Castle " caught my  eye while shopping at " The Book Place ".  I was intrigued by the idea of it taking place during the Spanish Inquisition.  While I did enjoy reading this book, I was also a little disappointed. The style is very fitting to the story- it has an almost old world charm and rythm to it that I found pleasing to the ear.  It's also easy to read, and flows at a nice pace.  While, it's not "fancy", the images it creates are fairly good and atmospheric. The story itself is a really interesting idea....